Saturday, October 8, 2011

Someone Amazing


So, the other night I was feeling pretty sick. Really, really rotten. I've had a cold for about three weeks and this past week was maybe the worst, mostly because I lost my voice (and felt like poo). Anyway, my mom basically ordered me to her house. And she made me supper. And she put me to bed. And the next morning she gave me a big hug and kiss.

I felt loads better.

This is just one of the many reasons why my mother is maybe the most amazing person I know. She is selfless, loving, and a happy and positive person to be around. Even when things aren't always so easy. I'm not going to go into great detail about my mom and what is happening in her/our lives right now, partly because my mom gets embarrassed when I give too much detail on this blog, and this stuff has more to do with her than me, but let me say, she's got a lot on her plate. She's busy every. Single. Day. And while my dad, my brother, and I do make attempts to be helpful, it's not enough. But she still keeps chugging along. With a smile on her face.

She is simultaneously caring for the family her lives in her home, family who live outside of her home, working a job, fulfilling other obligations, and dealing with whatever other unexpected things that crop up (like her 23 year old daughter needing to borrow $10 for gas because she forgot to ask her husband before he left for work, leaving her to meet said daughter at her granddaughter's daycare to drop off the money). I am consistently blown away by  her ability to multi-task and hold it all together at the same time. I can't do it, not yet, and I wonder if I'll ever do it quite as well.

All of those balancing act/Supermom things aside, the biggest thing about my mom that completely floors me is how much she cares about my brother and I, and how much of a good mom that she is. Obviously our relationship was/is not always perfect, but there has never, ever been a day in my life where I doubted the love of my mother or whether or not I could go to her with something. She has always been a solid and loving force in my life, even in the days when I would scream, "I hate you!" and slam the door in her face (Sorry, Mom...:-().

I've always said, if I can be half the mother she was to Lizzie, then Lizzie will have it pretty darn good.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're right - your mom is super mom, and I know this because she's my aunt and godmother. Plus she comes from a pretty amazing family filled with super women (related by blood and by marriage)...and her mom was pretty awesome too. And I think the children of your mom (and hey, my mom too!) are pretty awesome...especially us! We are learning to be great moms (hey maybe even super?) from the examples set by our moms and grandmothers.

It's nice to have your mom so close to take care of you when you're sick...something I definitely miss being 3000 miles away from family. I've got Tito but nothing replaces being taken care of by your mom. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...